Sunday, November 23, 2008

things i'm really thankful for (in outline form)

I. Public Media
---A. NPR
-----1. This American Life
--------a. Ira Glass's femininity
--------b. David Sedaris's rendition of Billie Holiday (it's on right now)
--------c. Sarah Vowell
--------d. Phil Collins
-----2. WPR
--------a. Joy Cardin
--------b. Kathleen Dunn
--------c. A Way With Words (aka A Way With Nerds)
--------d. Calling All Pets
--------e. All afternoon news programs
---B. PBS
-----1. Frontline (see also III)

II. My Family
---A. Immediate blood relatives
-----1. For being smart and political.
--------a. And for raising me to be politically-minded.
-----2. For making it possible to look forward to holidays.
---B. Dathan
-----1. For secret languages.
-----2. For being on the same page almost always
-----3. For the trust and honesty
-----4. For the silliness.
---C. PPC
-----1. For keeping me sane
-----2. For keeping me self-confident
--------a. I wouldn't have gone to grad school without friends that made me feel smart. I'm not kidding. Thank you.
---D. Charlie
-----1. Soft ears, specifically
-----2. Ongoing relationship with donut

III. Internet
---A. For information so easily accessible
---B. For allowing me to watch TV
-----1. Like The Office
-----2. And Frontline
---C. Blogs
-----1. To read
-----2. And write
---D. Email
-----1. To avoid phonecalls
-----2. To be able to converse with Kelly almost as much as I would if she lived here (minus wine)

IV. School
---A. Carrie Costello
-----1. Her avatar research is amazing which put her at the top of this list despite me not really knowing her
---B. Theory
---C. My awesome cohort
---D. Amazing students
-----1. For making up for the dumbasses.
---E. The Amy-Train
---F. For the rad classes I'll be taking next semester
-----1. (Statistics is excluded from this thank-you)

V. Coffee
---A. For waking me up
---B. For being sold in shops that allow me to study in public
-----1. So that I don't get distracted every 2 minutes
-----2. For allowing me to study with Shereen, Meridith, and Drew
---C. For being offered in "Mild" or "Strong" at many places
-----1. And actually being mild when you say you are

VI. Knowing how to drive stick shift
---A. Because last year at this time I was super stressed out about it.

VII. Obama
---A. Intelligent discussion of race that it has sparked (but no thanks for the people who are going to say racism doesn't exist now)
---B. The Jeremiah Wright "scandal" that really got me thinking about how f'ing racist this country really is
---C. For putting someone as rad and smart as Michelle Obama in the spotlight and the whitehouse.
---D. For running a good campaign
---E. For winning the election

VIII. Bulk Bins
---A. For rice
---B. And Nutritional Yeast

IX. Broader Vocabulary Co-op
---A. For trying to keep it alive.

X. Weekends
---A. Even if they do mean studying

3 comments:

lady_a said...

this inspires me...and made me cry.
i love you!

Anonymous said...

Consider this a cyber cheers. (But what's a PPC?)

molly t. said...

PPC is Peer Pressure Club. Pressurers and pressurees consist of those who get pressured to drink more at, but not limited to, Sue's.