Monday, November 17, 2008

Roast's coffee is extra caffeinated

Yep. I'm still caffeinated from the coffee I drank at Roast around 9am. I'm hoping not to crash soon. A few things on my mind today:

1. My students are beginning to annoy the hell out of me. I'm making a list of things I need to remember to tell them at the beginning of the semester so I can avoid some of the things that are driving me bananas. But does it really help to say don't come late every single day? (okay, I guess I will actually have to implement downgrading or not accepting assignments after the first 5 minutes) But what about: don't yell my name when you see I've entered the lecture hall and keep yelling it until I find you? If you miss the exam, you should probably contact the Prof, ohidunno, sometime that day or at least that week? If I tell you that your concerned face that, yes, even though you added the class late, you can still get a C or a B if you do everything, you should probably not miss all discussion sections thereafter? Or, if you are not planning on doing any work during the entire semester, make sure you drop the class so you aren't paying for an F. Ballllllls.

2. Finally reading about qualitative methods in my Methods class. Finally it's awesome. I wrote down two questions as I was reading (1: What if people answer dishonestly because they don't want to admit their true feelings to themselves? And 2: What is the "true" feeling? Is it what they tell their bestie? Or what they tell most people?) and both of these things were addressed within the text pages later! All this coming from the same text that critiques feminist, anti-racist, and queer theorist researchers by stating that they are not "value-neutral," as if others are. At least I'm getting something out of it.

3. I'm going to Florida in January with my mom. I'm driving her down so she can have her car, and might try to stay a week or two before flying back to Milwaukee. This means I need someone to stay at the Casa de Tennegoe to take care of the pup. What can't that little dude take care of himself yet? How many times do we have to go over where the food is, where the back door is, and where he should walk daily before he can do this himself? I think he's just lazy.

Time to hit up the library.

No comments: