Friday, November 28, 2008

Do you know what this word is?

I just listened to the most recent episode of Addicted to Race and it was amazing, as usual. A few things were brought up in this that I tried to make a mental note of, but because I didn't do it right away, my list has dwindled to only couple ideas. One was a new word that they used that was not aware of. And I can't figure out how to spell it. "Curiarchy"? I'm going to need to scour Racialicious to find their use of it so I can investigate further. The way that they described what it meant was something along the lines of the ways that marginalized groups hold onto an aspect of themselves that isn't marginalized. (i'm probably butchering this definition, but this is how I understood it as I was listening). They used the example of Black people who are homophobes. They used other examples, too, but that's the only one I can remember at the moment. Anyhoo, this word sounds like an amazing tool to frame the complexities of hierarchies. I'll updates this if/when i figure it out.
Another word they brought up that I was really only introduced to in my Social Psych class is "heuristic." Basically this is kind of like a "schema". Since i know how to spell this word and am able to look it up, I'll do that, instead of just guessing... Okay - technically it's the "availability heuristic" and here's the definition from wikipedia:

The availability heuristic is a phenomenon (which can result in a cognitive bias) in which people base their prediction of the frequency of an event or the proportion within a population based on how easily an example can be brought to mind.

Simply stated, where an anecdote ("I know a Chinese guy who...") is used to "prove" an entire proposition or to support a bias, the availability heuristic is in play.

This word was brought up when speaking about Michelle Obama, and how the fact that she is in the White House (well, soon anyway) looking the way she does (from skin color to the way she wears her hair) will bring about a new heuristic for people when they think about what a Black woman looks like or can be. I believe that the guest on ATR attributed this point to Michele Wallace. (I remember we sold a book or 2 of hers at BV. Also, wikipedia just told me that she's the daughter of Faith Ringgold, which leaves me with Hot Topic in my head.) I remember thinking that the concept of an availability heuristic was really useful, but this was the first time I've heard it used so well. It's similar to stereotype, but without the baggage that "stereotype" conjures up.

If you've got an hour to do something like washing dishes, i highly recommend listening to this one. So smart.

http://www.racialicious.com/2008/11/27/addicted-to-race-101-michelle-obama-homophobia-among-blacks/





No comments: